Appliances Start New Year Flat
All major appliance numbers down 0.5%.
The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers’ (AHAM) January shipment numbers remained practically even in overall Major Appliances, staying at 4,899.8, a 0.5% decrease from January 2018.
The overall cooking category was up, rising to 1,491.7 for January, a 1.8% increase.
However, continuing its streak of surging activity, the home comfort category increased 16.1% over this time last year, increasing from 551.2 to 639.8. A further breakdown of the numbers showed a 106.2% increase in dehumidifiers to 139.0 over January of last year.
Other categories mirrored the flat growth indicated in the overall major appliance numbers.
The home laundry monthly shipments saw a modest drop, declining to 1,000.9, or 9.9%.
Kitchen cleanup numbers increased to 1,083.8 monthly, or 0.7%. January’s food preservation shipments stand at 683.6, a 5.2% decrease.
The AHAM 6* index showed a 6.5% decrease to 2,721.4 for the month.
The AHAM Factory Shipment Report is a monthly subscription-only publication of the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM). For more information, visit www.aham.org
*AHAM 6 includes: Washers, Dryers, Dishwashers, Refrigerators, Freezers, Ranges and Ovens. Starting 2017, Compactors are no longer included in the AHAM Factory Shipment Report
- Numbers in Thousands of Units
- Domestic shipments includes units imported into the US, but does not include exports
- Compares the weeks between Jan 01, 2019-Jan 26, 2019 vs Jan 01, 2018-Jan 27, 2018
- Total Industry Shipments may not add due to rounding
- Includes revisions posted through 03/09/2019. This report is subject to additional revisions